In 1919, Alf Higgins and E. Daniel Manhart opened an auto service business at 1136 Commercial. By 1920, Manhart had gone and the business was renamed Commercial Drive Garage. In 1922, Higgins purchased the southwest corner lot at Commercial & Venables and erected a building for their business that, under Higgins and then his son, Alf jr, would remain in operation until 1988.
Alf Higgins and his wife arrived in Canada in 1910 and moved to Vancouver in 1918. From the 1920s to the early 1950s, he was a leading figure in Grandview business and politics, being elected president of the Chamber of Commerce on numerous occasions.
All previous Grandview 1920 clippings