With the advance polls opening in the Federal election tomorrow, I got to thinking about why anyone would vote Tory. In order to vote for the Conservative Party, you have to agree with the following statements:
- The government has the right to tell women what they can and cannot wear;
- Refugees are bogus claimants who will drain Canada of its healthcare funding;
- Murdered and missing women aren’t worth a public inquiry and, besides, it was their fault;
- Canadian scientists should be muzzled and not share their opinions;
- The feudal and barbaric Saudis should be armed to the teeth so that we can profit from their anti-human policies;
- Pharmaceutical costs will be determined by foreign Big Pharma only;
- Bombing is the modern equivalent of peacekeeping;
- Canada’s environmental protections should be changed at the whim of foreign corporations;
- It is OK to swamp Canada’s labour market with underpaid foreign workers;
- The Harper regime’s many years of budget deficits were imaginary;
- It is OK to spend $750,000,000 of taxpayers’ money on self-promotion;
- The West Coast doesn’t deserve maritime safety protection.
If you can agree with all those then Harper is clearly the man for you, and God help Canada!